We started of course with small project. We have already being building together for a month in Finland, but this were pretty much different. Also this time Sergy dare to tell my by words what is this all about. What will work and what doesn't. How can you know it etc.
So this job took us a day. When I hear someone bitching about that there is no places to ride in Finland or else where.. You may use this formula to solve the problem: (X:6):2 equals to small obstacles, X is the hours you are digging. Here is one day work in 4 minutes video. I was thinking to speed up video but it kinda fights against my way of thinking. If you give everything to others easy and fast, then they gonna want everything easy and fast. This 4 minutes is worth of watching.
- Dirt jumps are usually secret, because you have to earn to be allowed to ride them. Usually you earn it by helping with building/maintance. You ride one hour, you dig one hour. Even to these jumps everyone are not welcome. It might sound rash, but I'm starting to understand the mentaly behind this.
- Digging is way of life, it's not done for money (even if you sometimes get paid)
- You learn to dig only by digging, so the hard way is the right way.
- Proportion the speed to the shape and size of the jumps
- Looking the jump from different ankles you usually see if it's gonna work
- Proportion the size of the bike to the size of the jump, if the jump is smaller than bike the flow isn't gonna be good.
- Also needs to think if the jump is supposed to be jumped or roller smoothly.
- Basic rule for the dirt jumps and pump tracks is that you don't want to have any flat spots, this doesn't work with race tracks tho.
- Enjoy the work. Don't think only about result, enjoy doing, this way you gonna want to build more...
Recap of the most important points on the video
1. Planning, but progress jump by jump (not like me, brake down everything and start fixing..)
2. Make the shape you want to have in the middle of the obstacle and when you are satisfied, fix the sides in level.
3. Water, let dry. Siesta. More water... ground needs to be soaking wet, but non drain.
4. If you wanna speed up little, on top of the wet soil you can put some new dry soil, sweap and harden up.
5. Did I say ENJOY ;)